Subscribe with Bloglines At last I've got my plot!

Wednesday, March 29, 2006



AT LAST I've been and planted stuff today. The top 3 feet is now planted with a row (almost) of shallots (Red Sun). Also a row and a half of Onion Stuttgart Giant, and a row and a half of Onion Sturon. I've grown Sturon before, very successfully.

I didn't add any manure or fertiliser to this bit as it seems to have been "fallow" for a couple of years.

The next row is Early Potato, Premiere....just 10 planted. The rest of the row and the next two rows are Lady Christl. I have another row of Lady Christl to plant but need to dig a bit more first.

With each spud I put in a couple of handfuls of a purchased blended manure with a sprinkle of calcified seaweed....hopefully that will mean a good crop.

I met a man from 3 allotments along who has had his plots for more than 50 years. He is still battling with mare's tails even after all that time. Fortunately I haven't seen any sign of it on my plot.

He was telling me that the allotments were started after the Great War! Just hearing him use that expression puts him into context!!!! He also said that all plots are now let for this year; so if it wasn't for my friends needing a hand I'd still be waiting!

2 Comments:

At 29/3/06 12:27 pm, Blogger She Who Digs said...

Spooky- You must have updated while I was posting to your entry for yesterday as that photo wasn't there a minute ago- looks very nice you have been busy!
Sarah

 
At 29/3/06 12:50 pm, Blogger lilymarlene said...

Ah...here you are!!!!!
Now I'm super stiff! But the back garden is calling. I can't go back to the plot and dig some more until DH gets home as the dogs have already spent 2 1/2 hours in their cages. We don't like to push it with them.....however they often sitin them from choice so I don't really know why we worry about it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home