Subscribe with Bloglines At last I've got my plot!: First Visit

Thursday, March 09, 2006

First Visit


I have been on the list for a half allotment for some time now....presently at 12th. Some friends are finding theirs too big for them and offered me half to use while I am waiting. I was thrilled!
I have a veg garden at home.....8 deep beds 9' x 3'6" and a bean trench 13'x2'.....also a polytunnel 15'x10'. So, as you can see, I'm rather spoilt! However the soil at home is not thrilling, and I really have no room for roots. So, I'm going to put spuds and hopefully carrots in the allotment and hope I can keep on top of them with a couple of visits a week after the initial digging process is done.
I initially thought I'd apply for a half plot as I thought that would be enough, as there are only two of us....but the more I read other blogs I realise that I will probably outgrow the half plot quite soon. So I'm not going to remove my name from the list. By the time I get to the top I'll have got the half plot, and my new veg garden, up and running and will need more space. Also, I want to be at the top of the list so that if my friends decide to give up their plot in the future I can inherit the whole plot. There is a nice shed already on it, and it is next to the tap and the main path (which is wide enough for a car!)
I have some potatoes chitting in the tunnel whilst I get the first bit dug. I need to do 12' for the first earlies, then a further 9' for the second earlies, then I'll do the cardboard and manure and black plastic method (shown on the Allotment DVD) for the maincrop.. The rest of the space (if there is any) will be for some short rows of carrots, and a pumpkin!!! I've always wanted to try growing one and never had the room.
Tomorrow (Friday) has been promising to be fine all week, but the BBC weather site has now changed its mind and given rain instead.....! So tomorrow will be another day that I can't start. I'll use the time in the polytunnel instead, and get the house up straight so that I can take the next opportunity that presents itself to go up and start digging. Early next week I'll be away, so I may be delayed until Wednesday next before starting......hopefully not!
I hope to post about my visits to my plot each time I go....as a diary, and for me to be able to look back in the future to see how far I've come. If others visit and read and comment...that is good and welcome.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home