Subscribe with Bloglines At last I've got my plot!

Friday, April 21, 2006

Here I am ....back from Kent!
When I got in I walked the dogs and they led me down through the allotments....where I spotted my spuds coming through!!!!!! How did they know? I looked back to see when they went in.....29th March. I don't know whether that is good or bad but I'm pleased. Tomorrow I'll make sure the tops are earthed over because we still can't guarantee no frosts.....!
I also noticed that the real holders of my plot had used a poison on the grass path. Fortunately they have left my bit alone!!!!! But the path looks very ugly now....picture tomorrow weather permitting!
Went to Wisley on my way home to check out their shop and get some more (!!!!!) books. My favourite is one on French Vegetable Gardens. It is a delight.....full of pictures of French veg gardens and allotments......and as you know from my previous posts these are one of my obsessions. The book is very inspiring!!!!
http://books.global-investor.com/books/9831.htm?ginPtrCode=00000&identifier=
Couldn't find it on Amazon UK.....!
Got some other books which I'll mention later....and some seeds, dahlia tubers, gladioli bulbs, etc. Had a bit of a spend up!

3 Comments:

At 21/4/06 5:19 am, Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

I'll see if our library system has that book. Sounds like I would enjoy it too. I searched for books on allotments without luck, but did find some other gardening books recommended by bloggers. It's fun to return and see what has changed while you were gone.

 
At 22/4/06 7:07 am, Blogger Greenmantle said...

I commiserate with you on having to leave beautiful Kent... ;)

 
At 22/4/06 9:26 am, Blogger lilymarlene said...

Oh yes greenmantle.....I loved Kent. I lived there from 1961 to 2004! However, the Isle of Wight suits us just fine now we are older....cheaper property, slower pace of life, milder climate, beautiful beach walks, etc., etc., etc.
We had a big landslide at our old property and it cost us an arm and a leg to pay for....insurance only covered part of it....! That meant leaving an idyllic property (in the sticks, 30 mile views, 2 acres)....and anything else after that would have been a serious anti-climax. So we cut our losses and ran for a dream destination where we can afford to live out our retirement in comfort. I go back to Kent every 6 weeks to see my mother and do some shopping (which is the only real drawback here....no decent shops!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home