Subscribe with Bloglines At last I've got my plot!

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Hours at the plot so far....29 !
After spending the morning mowing the front and back lawns....a) because they desperately needed it, and b) because I needed some grass cuttings for planting my potatoes, I went to the plot this afternoon to plant my second earlies...Kestrel. Four rows! There was another plotter there who lent me a potato planter....like a bulb planter on a long stem....! It made the job so easy! Apparently everyone uses it!
Then I tidied up the compost area by moving the pile of weeds I am producing by the plot-clearing-digging that I am doing at the moment, into the new bay DH made last Saturday. It all looks much tidier up there now.
I am away in Kent for two days visiting my mother, so will not be at the plot again until Friday. Then I need to start preparing the ground for the main crop. I am going to do these under plastic using the method advocated on the Allotment DVD. There is a certain amount of digging involved in the "lazy bed" system. Basically you lay a one foot width of cardboard along a row, cover it with manure, cut the turves from either side, turn them over onto the manure, then cover the whole in plastic. After this cut holes for the spuds at the usual planting distance, and push them down as far as you can.
No watering, no earthing up..can't be bad. Then this autumn I will give it a proper dig ready for next year.
This afternoon I spent a while in the tunnel watering and doing other general maintenance. Now I've had it! Goodnight!

4 Comments:

At 19/4/06 2:17 pm, Blogger patsy said...

glad to see you are still with us, I enjoyed the allotment lady blog so much so I suppose I can read your's everyday for my window into the UK. I appreciate you.

 
At 19/4/06 3:36 pm, Blogger patsy said...

thank you , i spent a great hour reading all your links and had a good time running around uk.

 
At 20/4/06 4:17 pm, Blogger lilymarlene said...

I hope Alloytment Lady gets that website up and running soon! I enjoyed reading about her chickens too....now we don't have any anymore!
BTW I visit your blog everyday too.....love the old photos!

 
At 20/4/06 4:56 pm, Blogger patsy said...

I can't tell you how much fun I had reading all the links on your page, more information than I knew could be available.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home