Hours at the plot so far....29 !
After spending the morning mowing the front and back lawns....a) because they desperately needed it, and b) because I needed some grass cuttings for planting my potatoes, I went to the plot this afternoon to plant my second earlies...Kestrel. Four rows! There was another plotter there who lent me a potato planter....like a bulb planter on a long stem....! It made the job so easy! Apparently everyone uses it!
Then I tidied up the compost area by moving the pile of weeds I am producing by the plot-clearing-digging that I am doing at the moment, into the new bay DH made last Saturday. It all looks much tidier up there now.
I am away in Kent for two days visiting my mother, so will not be at the plot again until Friday. Then I need to start preparing the ground for the main crop. I am going to do these under plastic using the method advocated on the Allotment DVD. There is a certain amount of digging involved in the "lazy bed" system. Basically you lay a one foot width of cardboard along a row, cover it with manure, cut the turves from either side, turn them over onto the manure, then cover the whole in plastic. After this cut holes for the spuds at the usual planting distance, and push them down as far as you can.
No watering, no earthing up..can't be bad. Then this autumn I will give it a proper dig ready for next year.
This afternoon I spent a while in the tunnel watering and doing other general maintenance. Now I've had it! Goodnight!