Subscribe with Bloglines At last I've got my plot!

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

As the weather has been pretty foul for the last few days I have been doing indoor things instead. One of these has been experimenting with my breadmaker and some sourdough recipes. The easiest and probably the tastiest and most reliable recipe has produced this loaf.

It is called Pain de Campagne and is absolutely delicious. The dough is produced in two stages ....first a "poolish" is produced and left in the machine to age for up to 8 hours....then the rest of the ingredients are added and the dough cycle run again. The dough is removed then, shaped, left to rise, then baked in the oven.

Here is the recipe.....
Put 200ml water, 225g spelt flour (or a mix of wholemeal and white bread flour) and 1/4 teaspoon easy-blend yeast into the breadmaker pan and run the dough programme. Then just leave the "poolish" in the pan for up to 8 hours depending on how sour a taste you like.

Then add 120ml water, 275g spelt flour, 25g rye flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon easy-blend yeast. Run the dough programme again.

When finished take the dough from the pan and knock back on a floured board. Shape into a plump, round ball. Place on a greased baking sheet. Cover with a large bowl and stand in a warm place to rise til doubled in size....about half an hour.

Dust top of loaf with flour, cut slashes in both directions on the top.
Bake at 220degC/325degF/gas mark 7 for 35 minutes....or until golden and it sounds hollow when tapped on the base. Cool on a wire rack.

Now I must go and try to mow the lawns. If it is still too wet I might be back!!!!!!! Posted by Picasa

9 Comments:

At 23/5/06 9:00 pm, Blogger clairesgarden said...

that looks lovely, its been a long time since I have made bread. hope you get your grass cut

 
At 23/5/06 9:41 pm, Blogger lilymarlene said...

I did...the rain held off.I was rather relieved because we have a lot of entertaining over the next 10 days and I don't want to worry about the garden....now I don't need to think about the mowing for at least a week!!!

 
At 25/5/06 8:25 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi

You’ve inspired me … my breadmaker has been glaring at me for months wondering why I stopped using it (basically ‘cause I only ever achieved success making plain white bread) … but I’ll give it a treat this weekend and try your recipe …

Thanks

 
At 25/5/06 12:27 pm, Blogger Sigruns German Garden said...

After seeing your bread I'm hungry now! The most of our breads I make also by myself.

Sigrun

 
At 25/5/06 5:46 pm, Blogger patsy said...

i will try that i love sour dough.I really don'y care much for a bread machine but i have use it to start bread and then finish off in oven so i should do good on this.

 
At 25/5/06 9:00 pm, Blogger lilymarlene said...

Hope you're all successful.
I'm hoping to try doing the actual baking of the bread in the machine tomorrow. I'll report on how it goes. It wont be round unfortunately.

 
At 25/5/06 9:18 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Glad to see someone else keen on making their own bread - and I will give it a go too.

I have not seen spelt flour around these parts - is there an alternitive and is it a crucial ingredient.

 
At 25/5/06 9:35 pm, Blogger lilymarlene said...

The recipe I started with and modified, has 175g strong white flour and 50g wholemeal for the poolish, then 225g white, 50g wholemeal and 25g rye for the dough. It's a very tasty loaf made like that.
I try to use spelt where I can though because DH has to avoid wheat if possible. I use Dove's Farm spelt flour from Holland and Barret or Sainsbury's, but I buy an Isle of Wight stoneground one when I can find it.

 
At 28/5/06 5:24 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great recipe, thanks. My little ones found the spelt flour a little heavy, bu the second go with Doves Farm standard white went dow a sorm.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home