Subscribe with Bloglines At last I've got my plot!

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Hours at the plot so far...43

I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't raining today and took the opportunity to go and finish the digging. I did the bit to the left of the rhubarb (about 4 foot square although the picture doesn't show it) and the bit between the two lavender bushes (foreground in the picture.) Now I'm ready to put in the pumpkins and a courgette or two.

Another pleasant surprise was the fact that the plastic is still in place in spite of the south-westerlies that rip through the allotments. They were so fierce I had to have my anorak hood up to stop it going in one ear and out of the other!!!! When I was changing out of my wellies to come home the shed door whipped round and gave me such a clout I nearly fell over. I have a bruised hip to show for it.


As I have now finished the digging I brought home my spade, fork and garden claw as they are needed here. It was a good feeling knowing that I can do it all with a hoe now until spud harvest time!!!


When I got home I found that I have some strawberries almost ready to pick in the polytunnel. Pictured here....a bit blurry...sorry.
The other picture gives a general idea of the progress in the tunnel......tomatoes flowering on the left, cucumber flowering, peppers flourishing, lots of salad leaves, and the strawberries laden. I need to spend a bit of time in here tidying up, feeding and watering everything....hopefully tomorrow.
I also need to tidy the shed and garage so that I can actually get through them walking on the actual floor!!!! Another job for tomorrow. And there are lots of bedding plants still to go out. Also the runner beans to plant out. I shall be busy!!!

BTW I heard today that there is a new series coming on telly, Sunday mornings, starting on 28th May, BBC 1 I think , called "The Big Dig"...about allotments. I shall have to set the video as we are out Sunday mornings!!!!

Allotment rhubarb crumble for dinner tonight!!!

6 Comments:

At 21/5/06 3:54 am, Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

Wow, it's a whole other season in that polytunnel. The allotment looks great too. Wonder how long it will be before the Big Dig series is on DVD so I can rent it in the US! That's how I get other favorite BBC series.

 
At 21/5/06 4:57 am, Blogger lilymarlene said...

Usually nowadays it isn't long.
BTW there is an excellent existing one called The Allotment...but it is not BBC....it was from ITV West. Here is the address
http://www.allotment.info/
I watch it when I'm ironing.

 
At 21/5/06 12:26 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Brilliant absolutely brilliant. Your allotment looks great and your polytunnel - oh my goodness how I would love a poly tunnel. Early strawberries, and salads. Oh I am so envious - and I did not know about the series.

 
At 21/5/06 1:15 pm, Blogger lilymarlene said...

I've just checked with the Radio Times on-line.....and it is on the 28th May....on BBC 2.....at 10am til 11am....a whole hour!!!!!

 
At 26/5/06 8:55 am, Blogger weirdbunny said...

look at those lovely strawberries. The fruit of your labour has arrived!!!

 
At 26/5/06 9:04 am, Blogger lilymarlene said...

And they're so tasty!!!!! About a handful a day are coming ripe which is just right for two of us!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home