Subscribe with Bloglines At last I've got my plot!

Saturday, May 13, 2006


Hours at the plot so far...40! I honestly never imagined I could get so far in so little time!

It was really sunny today, so having got burnt yesterday I decided to shop this morning and go to the plot this afternoon when it became cloudy! Good move! I was able to get all the spuds in under the plastic rows......and now I can relax a bit.
Here you see the five rows I did today, with the space for one of the pumpkins in the foreground, the compost heaps in the background, and the lavender bushes on the left.
Here is a long shot of my whole plot. The onions are doing well in the foreground. Then the first earlies, and then the second earlies....just showing. The two plastic rows are maincrop...already showing through, then the rhubarb with space either side for a pumpkin. Then the five rows I finished today.




Thought you'd like to see a picture of the shed....blooming!















Remember this picture of plot 30 from early April?









Well....just look at it now. The new plot holder has done wonders! She already had the one on the right...and now the one on the left looks as cared for!


Absolutely amazing!!!!!

All the timber that was stacked at the top of the plot has become some rather wonderful and huge compost heaps at the bottom of the plot.












This morning I did some potting and sowing in the tunnel. I sowed five banana seeds! (Experiment!!!) Also dozens of asparagus seeds. I'm hoping to grow them eventually where the first earlies are now. I thought a packet of seeds (£1.29) was worth a try if it saves money on plants!
I also sowed seeds of Traveller's Joy..the tame version of Old Man's beard....to replace the Montana "Elizabeth" that I strimmed off!

7 Comments:

At 13/5/06 12:29 am, Blogger patsy said...

you are going great guns, i have had sun shine for two days and my mini garden has shot up like a house a fire.

 
At 13/5/06 12:31 am, Blogger patsy said...

what kind of vine is on the shed?

 
At 13/5/06 4:41 am, Blogger lilymarlene said...

It is a clematis. I think it is Montana Rubens.
The shed belongs to the real plotholder, but they have let me have a key and a small corner!

 
At 14/5/06 5:18 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Let me know how you get on growing the clematis from seed. I have always fancied doing that - but I don't have a green house. You plot is looking brilliant and is such a wonderful setting.

I have grown all my asparagus from seed.

All from seeds off a plant from the end of another plot (with permission to take some of the red berries). They grow really easily. I did one lot the first year I had my plot, and this year they are in their third year so next year I can eat them.

The ones I grew from seed last year are just coming through. I have put a photo on so you can see them to compare notes.

 
At 14/5/06 6:18 pm, Blogger lilymarlene said...

AL. Thanks for that encouragement...your photo looks good. I've started off abouy 70 modules. I have no idea how many plants I need for a decent bed. Axctually it is only me that likes it, but I believe it freezes well.
I try lots of different seeds....some succeed, some don't. I sowed some comfrey seeds this spring. Two came up. I suppose that is just cheaper than buying plants!!!

Keep following my blog to see if the Traveller's Joy come up!

 
At 15/5/06 1:39 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finially after weeks of you leaving messages on my blog, I find yours! It's a very impressive allotment, and I'm very envious of your surroundings. It's lovely seeing someone from down south too - I grew up in Lymington and you blog makes me want to see the Solent again. I shall be visiting here again soon!

 
At 15/5/06 2:03 pm, Blogger lilymarlene said...

Lymington......so pretty. I love it when we use the ferry that goes from Yarmouth to Lymington.....half an hour of bliss!
We do hold ourselves very blessed to live where we do. When we moved here two years ago, after holidaying here since I was a child in the 50's, it was my biggest ambition to have an allotment at the Seaview, Sandilands Allotments. I was so pleased that it happened so soon! It allows me to do so much more than just the amount of space we have here in the back garden.
Thanks for your kind comments about my plot. It is by no means perfect, and there is still a lot to do (is that why they're called a-llot-ments?)but I hope to have it like the plot 29 and 30 lady has hers in the not too distant future.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home