Subscribe with Bloglines At last I've got my plot!

Friday, June 23, 2006

Hours at the plot so far.....50 1/2
Went to sow peas and runner beans this afternoon. It was hot, the soil was rock hard, and it wasn't easy to dig and break up the ground. But I managed to sow a row of Kelvedon Wonder peas, and a row of Scarlet Emperor runner beans. I have made a Heath Robinson arrangement for the peas....the criss cross fence...which I hope will support them when they grow. The fencing was laying around on the site so I assumed my plot owners didn't want it. If they do I'll have to do something else.
The runners have an even more Heath Robinson arrangement. I have some bean netting here at home that I will take to support the beans and hope that I can find some more sticks for support. I have time to get some proper canes.
I watered the peas and beans well (under the beans is a trench of manure fetched from the communal pile) and then carted loads of water for the onions and the squashes. I read that onions need water whilst they are growing if the weather is very dry. As the ground is dried out for at least 4 inches, and onions are shallow rooted, I thought they qualified. I will have to do it regularly now I've started!!!
Here is a picture of the state of play when I came home. I have yet to dig the bit nearer to the camera than the watered bit. The early potatoes were here but are now in the fridge!!!!! In fact I am giving a load away as there are far too many for us to use before the next ones are ready!
















On the way back to the car I thought I'd just update you on the progress on the plot that was taken on only a few weeks ago. Here is a picture of it today......
















And here is a picture of the plot she has had for 6 years......next door to the new one.








NB. I forgot to say yesterday that the very early potatoes that I harvested were Premiere, and the first earlies were Lady Christl. Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

At 23/6/06 6:45 pm, Blogger weirdbunny said...

It's so wonderful digging up patatoes. We've got little baby carrots and delicious peas ready to eat at the moment. I've posted them on my blog today.

 
At 24/6/06 6:27 am, Blogger patsy said...

love the photos you had been missing for a few days and i want you to know i am glad you are back.

 
At 24/6/06 8:39 pm, Blogger lilymarlene said...

I'm sorry Patsy.....I was really busy, visitors, and ddn't get to the plot other than walking through with the dogs, and would feel silly just saying that each time.
I know what you mean about feeling disappointed when someone's blog goes quiet. What I do now is put all the blogs on a blog feed http://www.bloglines.com/myblogs
and then I don't have to click down the list of them seeing if anyone has posted....it just gives me a list of those who have. I get through quite quickly now!

I'd love to have time to do more of my patchwork and post more on my patchwork blog too.....but really that is a winter occupation for me.....too much gardening and too many visitors in the summer.
Next Saturday I'm off to the National Patchwork Championships at Sandown Park Racecourse, Epsom, Surrey. I will take lots of photos there and post the best of them on my Patchwork Blog.
Monday I'm going to a special day at the Isle f Wight Lavender Farm. It is a sort of teaching day with instructions on how to propagate and look after lavender. I am obsessive about Lavender and really looking forward to the day. I'll post anything interesting I learn on this blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home