Hours at the plot so far.....50 1/2
Went to sow peas and runner beans this afternoon. It was hot, the soil was rock hard, and it wasn't easy to dig and break up the ground. But I managed to sow a row of Kelvedon Wonder peas, and a row of Scarlet Emperor runner beans. I have made a Heath Robinson arrangement for the peas....the criss cross fence...which I hope will support them when they grow. The fencing was laying around on the site so I assumed my plot owners didn't want it. If they do I'll have to do something else.
The runners have an even more Heath Robinson arrangement. I have some bean netting here at home that I will take to support the beans and hope that I can find some more sticks for support. I have time to get some proper canes.
I watered the peas and beans well (under the beans is a trench of manure fetched from the communal pile) and then carted loads of water for the onions and the squashes. I read that onions need water whilst they are growing if the weather is very dry. As the ground is dried out for at least 4 inches, and onions are shallow rooted, I thought they qualified. I will have to do it regularly now I've started!!!
Here is a picture of the state of play when I came home. I have yet to dig the bit nearer to the camera than the watered bit. The early potatoes were here but are now in the fridge!!!!! In fact I am giving a load away as there are far too many for us to use before the next ones are ready!
On the way back to the car I thought I'd just update you on the progress on the plot that was taken on only a few weeks ago. Here is a picture of it today......
And here is a picture of the plot she has had for 6 years......next door to the new one.
NB. I forgot to say yesterday that the very early potatoes that I harvested were Premiere, and the first earlies were Lady Christl.