Subscribe with Bloglines At last I've got my plot!

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Hours at the plot so far......59.

I waited until 7.30pm before I went to the plot tonight as it was still too hot to work before then. I had a really good tidy up and lit a bonfire (I now stink!) with the weeds and the potato haulms from earlier in the week. I don't like to compost them....in case! The smoke went straight up so I am not worried about complaints. And I put wire round to stop it escaping! The very dry stuff burned off before I left, so just the wet fresh weeds are smouldering away now.
The man with the next plot, who I hadn't met before, was mowing the grass paths between the plots. He very kindly did my bit too, and strimmed the edges. It all looks much better. I still have to have a go at the other side again....when it's cooler.
I was planning how I am going to do a rotation next year, given that 80% of the plot had potatoes in it this year. I think I am going to divide the plot into three.....separated by the asparagus bed, and a row of tayberry bushes which I have grown from the little plants that were springing up all over the plot, and the rhubarb which is already there will be another natural break. The three areas will be about 12 ft sq each. If I take a bit more of the plot holder's bit, then I can grow spuds on that bit and the bit where I had the onions this year. The plot holder has said I can have what I need. She says she is leaving her bit fallow this year!!!!!!!!!!!! The bonfire is burning the "fallow" as we speak! And I have my pumpkin on it too! It still isn't tidy but it looks a lot better than it did. The bindweed was choking the shed, flowerbeds, paths and my pumpkin!
My Maincrop potatoes are still flowering so I am leaving them a week or two longer before I dig them. If the yield is as good as the earlies we should have enough for ourselves for months! I bought some hessian sacks (5 of them) from T&M to store them in and I'll keep them in the shed.
This morning I worked til 10 in the kitchen garden. I sorted out the cutting flowers bed, the ex-onion bed, the ex-cabbage bed, checked the rest of the brassicas for caterpillars (...so far none!), and generally tidied up....until the sun drove me inside.
When I first opened up the tunnel the smell of the onions and garlic drying in there was wonderful.....hope the plants in there appreciate it! I'm not closing it up tonight as there is no wind so it won't cool down much.
I'm too tired to do the watering here now so I'll get up early and do it then.

4 Comments:

At 25/7/06 2:42 am, Blogger patsy said...

you are a true gardner. already planning for next year. I am already planning on next years chicken hatch! dreams are what makes us happy.

 
At 25/7/06 4:49 am, Blogger lilymarlene said...

It is planning that makes us truly alive. Just living for today is only half living to me!
And chickens again would make my husband so happy! Perhaps we'd better move so we could have some!

 
At 25/7/06 6:39 am, Blogger clairesgarden said...

its a good idea to plan, I have been quite careful to write down what was planted where this year so I can start keeping a record, begore that I had it all in my head, where it quickly became lost!

 
At 25/7/06 7:58 am, Blogger lilymarlene said...

That is one of the reasons for doing this blog.....so that I can remember what was where.....photos say much more than a list! And a list in my head is a waste of time......I'm at the age where I do things that I have absolutely no memory of a week later. Must have been in a trance!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home