Subscribe with Bloglines At last I've got my plot!

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Rain at last!!!! Look at this butt full! Actually it was full to the inlet but I'd had the polytunnel irrigation system running for an hour before I took the picture.
The other butts are getting fuller too. The one on the front of the tunnel is doing well, and the ones on the back of the tunnel and the other one on the house are about a third full. Something tells me I should link another one to this one in the picture!!! It obviously takes the bulk of the house roof rainfall. Perhaps a hose attached to the other inlet hole to the irrigation system would mean that once the butt is full it would supply water direct to the tunnel. I'll give it some thought!
I think the garden was grateful for the inch that fell this morning! As you can see I have a lot of work to do out there. I will feel much more like it now the heat seems to have gone away!!
We are still deciding what to do with the paths between the beds. So far we have been dumping unwanted soil dug out from another path we are doing, and stones sorted from the beds whilst cultivating. I don't really want to put down grass as I have enough mowing to do already, but I suppose a little strim now and then wouldn't be too bad. I had also thought of doing a chamomile lawn type of sward but the seeds I sowed came to nought.

More photos below. Posted by Picasa

11 Comments:

At 5/7/06 3:49 pm, Blogger clairesgarden said...

ha, you're having rain, we're having hot/dry! I've got the hose on sprinkling the garden. I use a lot of the square foot priciples and find it very useful, Im always telling people about it so good for you putting a link on!

 
At 5/7/06 5:10 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL ... as a yank I always think of "butt full" as having a totally different meaning, as in "I've got a 'butt full' of work to do." I'll bet, however, it came from your usage ... Most of our slang does.

 
At 6/7/06 7:35 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like you’ve got the ‘butt’ thing well organised … I’m thinking you’ve got five water butts, and are now considering adding a sixth is that right?
Have you got them all set up to run automatic irrigation systems in your garden or do you use them for filling watering cans? And have you seen Draper’s Water Butt Pump? This – I believe – would give you enough pressure to water your garden with a hose from your water butt … might be something to think about.

 
At 6/7/06 8:06 am, Blogger lilymarlene said...

I've got one ....the one that takes the most from the roof..the one in the picture....set up to run the irrigation system in the tunnel and the bean bed. Two of the others are on the tunnel and I use these to fill cans for the greenhouse staging, etc. The other two, on the house and the shed are also for cans. And the sixth will be linked to the one with the irrigation system.
So....the pump idea would be a good route to follow!!!!!!

 
At 6/7/06 8:15 am, Blogger lilymarlene said...

Thanks for the tip about the pump......I just googled, found it, and ordered it. Looks fantastic......no more long arms for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 6/7/06 11:27 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As to what to put between the beds, I would consider paving slabs. Here this should inspire you.

http://www.saundersallotment.co.uk/

 
At 6/7/06 12:40 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha ... I’m not just a pretty face then!
I’m glad you got hold of a Draper pump (I know they’ve been in short supply!) ...
Now I’ve done you a favour how would you feel about exchanging links? (sorry to be cheeky!!!)
Best wishes

 
At 6/7/06 2:42 pm, Blogger lilymarlene said...

It looks like I've managed it. Last time I tried to do it I got in quite a mess!

 
At 6/7/06 8:30 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks ... sorry it caused you some stress ... I always make errors when I make changes as well!

 
At 6/7/06 9:37 pm, Blogger lilymarlene said...

I've just had an e-mail to say the Draper Pump wont be in til the end of August!!!!! Hope they wont take the money til then!

 
At 8/7/06 11:42 pm, Blogger weirdbunny said...

Oh my daughter who is eight has got one of those pink bucket things with handles for her garden too. She's alway shouting at me for using it!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home