Subscribe with Bloglines At last I've got my plot!

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Hours at the plot so far 62 1/2.
I went down this evening to have a bonfire as the wind was in the right direction. Whilst it was at its hottest I felt I ought to hang around and watch it so I cut the grass around the shed and generally tidied up the plotholders third of the plot. The parsnips they left in from last year were seeding everywhere....so they got burnt as well. I left it smouldering.....it should be ok.

Here is the promised photo of the onion crop. Once they are strung it doesn't look much, but I am very pleased with them. We are eating the ones that wouldn't string...they are tasty!

Earlier today I sowed the seeds in my Autumn Salad Bar Sq Ft Garden (Bed 2). I did Rocket, Mizuna, Lettuce Clarion, Lettuce Sherwood, Fennel, Chives, Parcel, Parsley, Bush beans Purple Teepee, Bush beans Sonesta, Chard, Turnips, Beetroot Boltardy and Forono, Spinach, carrots Autumn King, peas (for tips...if the mice leave me any!) spring onions Ishikura, and onions (forgotten the name). I covered the bed with fleece to keep the cats from laying all over it.....and watered it copiously.

I also had to fleece the first Sq Ft bed on top of the netting over it as the butterflies were getting through the net! I have sent for a sample of the butterfly net from Harrod Horticultural and will probably order it from them before I grow cabbages again!

All in all a busy day....and now I'm ready to get horizontal!!!!! Posted by Picasa

6 Comments:

At 3/8/06 6:37 am, Blogger clairesgarden said...

the onions look great, I thinkyou've got a good crop there. good for you being organised and getting you autmn sowings in , I must organise myself and get mine in! I have been surprisingly caterpillar free this year, I have one cat that's been hanging out by the brussel sprouts and eating every butterfly she catches, yum, nice kitty!

 
At 3/8/06 9:36 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just found your website through a link on My Tiny Plot. Thoroughly enjoying reading it and picking up lots of tips. This is my first year with a little veggie plot and I'm loving it!I'm only 34 so my friends think its hilarious. Haven't heard any complaints from them about my spuds, carrots, salad or courgettes though! I love that you update so regularly and say exactly what you are doing, how and what you are planting...keeps me right! I'm hoping to lift my onions this weekend and dry them. Your picture of them looks fantastic. Thanks for a great site.

 
At 3/8/06 1:16 pm, Blogger lilymarlene said...

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. And Lynne, if you want to see an entertaining site, with a very busyboots lady and her garden....try clicking on the link to Allotment Lady on my list.....she's a whirlwind!

 
At 5/8/06 10:19 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Still enjoyin readin your site - could you give me an email address I can answer your question re keeping chickens in more detail.

 
At 6/8/06 12:33 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Do you want to go back into my site and delete your address?

Will be in touch tonight or tommorrow when family go

 
At 5/3/07 6:01 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! » » »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home