Subscribe with Bloglines At last I've got my plot!

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Hours at the plot so far.....61.

I spent a couple of hours down at the plot yesterday morning as it was windy and cloudy and I had some strenuous things to do that I'd been putting off whilst the weather was so hot and humid.
First I hoed off all the weeds that had flourished whilst the weather was so hot. Then I emptied and tidied the shed (not really my responsibility but the plotholder hasn't been near this year other than one trip to water everything with Roundup!). After that I weeded the patio because it was looking bad, and emptied out the pots that had all the dead plants in. It all looks much more respectable now.
I'm going to go up this evening to dig over the spare ground ready for the winter brassicas that I'm hoping to put in if I can buy some. The ones I started off in pots last month are a bit sparse. The mini greenhouse stageing I have them on outside collapsed (it wont do that again....I've wired it to death!) and all the little pots fell out. I saved some, but haven't really got enough now. I could buy from one of the magazines, but the ones I got last year were a complete waste of money....we didn't eat a single cabbage or cauli from them and only one Kale plant came to anything....likewise only one broccoli "sprouted"! I'm hoping to find some tomorrow at the very good nursery that is on the way back from town.

In the afternoon I worked in the kitchen garden. I spent a while sorting out the next sq ft bed which is much easier since we've had some rain. Then I went caterpillar hunting....got lots! Then I netted the existing sq ft bed because I hadn't realised Pak Choi (doh!!!) was a brassica and the cabbage whites were all over them! They'd also laid eggs on the broccoli rhab leaves. I ripped off every little clutch.

Then a spell in the greenhouse stringing up my onions and garlic. I had enough veg to make three strings of onions, and one of garlic. I'm really pleased with them......! I'll photo them later when I've worked out where to hang them up.

Today I'm going to mark out and plant up the next sq ft bed. This one is going to be my Autumn Salad Bar! I need to go through my seed box to see what I've got and what I need before I go to Newport tomorrow. The local garden centre has seeds but quite honestly they are a waste of money. They sit on racks in the full sun and I've been very disappointed with the yield with every packet I've bought from them.

2 Comments:

At 2/8/06 12:28 pm, Blogger AllotmentBoss said...

I look forward to seeing photos of your garlic and onions. Locally, it seems to have been a bumper year for onions.

We never have much success growing brassicas. Every year something seems to get them. However, this year our netting seems to be keeping butterflies and pigeons at bay, and they're now large enough to withstand a modest attack from slugs.

Anyway, thanks for visiting and leaving a comment.

 
At 15/2/07 6:22 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! alfa romeo spider 2000 poker tournament Gel coat applacation When will i see results from xenical http://www.spam-blocker-8.info/commonwealthgamesallcountriesmembers2006.html Car loan private hotel crowne plaza new york yasmin abdullah Adipex weight loss umaxppc Hickory chair sideboard merchant account online dating service arm and leg pain with lexapro becoming a dental hygenist przykladowe ceny blotnikow alfa romeo 147

 

Post a Comment

<< Home