Went to check the plot today. I hadn't been for 10 days as I have DH still recovering from his op, and a visitor to entertain and to take to Stansted, etc.
I was delighted to see that the cabbages and other brassicas had all grown well in the ten days since they were planted. And there was a ton of runner beans waiting to be picked. A few were too big and stringy but most were wonderful. These were the beans I planted after harvesting my early potatoes. They were started straight in the ground rather than pots. The runners in the garden were a washout because of lack of rain, but these late arrivals are superb.....well worth planting a late crop.
I dug up two rows of the Cara maincrop from under the plastic. The yield wasn't wonderful...as expected given the lack of water and the total lack of digging before planting, but I am pleased with the results. Also, at least half have been eaten by slugs and woodlice. Other plotholders who didn't use plastic also had the problem.......so I don't think it is the method. Next year I'll be a bit religious with the slug pellets and some woodlice powder.
I must get up there for a longer spell soon and have good tidy up. It really needs it. Also I want to put in my asparagus plants which need to be moved on from their pots now. And the tayberries I grew from suckers also need planting.
In the last week I have also started the autumn tidy up in the tunnel. I have scrapped the Gartenperle tomatoes as I wanted the space for a new Sq Ft Bed with winter salads under cover. I shan't grow Gartenperle again as they had no flavour....I also didn't like the pink colour. The Lidi and the Sungold were terrific as usual, and the Gardener's Delight in the garden beds are still going strong.
My Thompson and Morgan Seed Catalogue for next year is here already....I'll have to set aside some time to plan soon.