Subscribe with Bloglines At last I've got my plot!

Tuesday, February 06, 2007




Three hours spent digging this afternoon and the second swathe is now done. As this last corner of the bit I've done was where I had the heap and the bonfire there was a lot of rubbish. I had the fire here because that is where the previous plot holders had had their fire. I found lots more carpet, umpteen plastic compost bags, lots of metal bits and pieces, and loads and loads of small bits of a green plastic net. It took all that time to get the rubbish out...it is done now.

I estimate that I have done over a third of the digging now.....and that includes the worst bits....so from now on should be plain sailing!

I intend to get it all dug once, removing as much weed root as I can, then I will use our little Mantis cultivator on it to reduce it to a "fine tilth"! Then I will mark up the permanent beds and begin my no dig experiment. The beds will be 3'6" deep and about 14' long....six of them altogether. I will just loosen the soil when I weed in future and not step on the soil at all.

I am a bit puzzled as to how I am going to do "firm" conditions for the brassicas. I expect walking on the beds will be required for that. I will have to research a bit more.

I'm thinking of doing straw paths between the beds...if I can get some that is.

Hopefully we will get a fine day with a north wind soon. Then I will be able to start burning all that rubbish shown in the second picture. Any other wind direction sends smoke all over either the Sports Club or the flats. I know if I lived there I'd get annoyed if there were lots of fires.....so I am hoping to be able to do it without upsetting anyone.....! Probably a tall order!

2 Comments:

At 6/2/07 10:40 pm, Blogger Sheila said...

Hi, finally made it around. I've been busy for a few days..and so have you by the sounds of it.
I remember digging out a flower bed beside a house we bought. It wasn't a new home,but no one had ever dug there before.I know because I removed enough rubble to build another house. At least that's what it seemed like at the time...!

 
At 7/2/07 9:20 am, Blogger clairesgarden said...

you sound well on in your work there! you ar puting me to shame, I have spread maure aound but have done no digging!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home