Subscribe with Bloglines At last I've got my plot!

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Fiddled about in the Kitchen Garden this morning as I was feeling a bit fragile. I gave everything a soaking as the ground is beginning to set like concrete, and I won't be here for two days as I'm off to Kent to visit my mother.

I was delighted to see that the broad beans are doing what they should and producing pods at last. Hopefully they should thicken up soon and we can have a feast.





But unfortunately they have blackfly already (picture 2) which I hosed off. I will have to take more permanent measures soon.
I am really pleased with my brassicas, actually only cabbages at the moment. They seem to have doubled in size since I planted them out 10 days ago. (I just looked back to the photo I took after planting and they have indeed doubled!)
I'm looking forward to cutting the Hispi cabbages (middle row) which will each provide enough for two hearty servings, and then make space for 3 broccoli plants for next spring.







In the tunnel I planted those two poor cucumbers that I thought I'd killed (see 18th March!) into self watering pots in the corner of the tunnel. They seem to be growing away at last. I've wrapped them a bit against any draughts. Also potted on a round courgette in the same way in the same corner. Might get some earlier than in the garden. They are by the back door of the tunnel so hopefully they will get germinated by some insects. When I grew them in the beds the year before last I didn't get much harvest and I put it down to poor pollination as the door to the tunnel was more often closed then at this time of year. This year they have been open all day.....!
Posted by Picasa

6 Comments:

At 22/4/07 3:56 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a great couple of days away and fantastic veggies - oh and love all the photos - can't post individually have a lot to visit.xxx

 
At 22/4/07 8:26 pm, Blogger Frankie said...

I've blackfly on my bb's as well - I thought I must be seeing things this morning but obviously not.

 
At 23/4/07 6:49 am, Blogger RUTH said...

Hope you feel less fragile soon. Do you just nip the tips off of your black-flyed broad beans. I've heard them say to do that instead of spraying on the TV. Hope your couple of days away is enjoyable.

 
At 23/4/07 7:19 pm, Blogger Ziggywigs said...

Wow i can't believe how far ahead you are of us up North...my Hispi don't look anynear where yours are. Really enjoyed reading about your lottie and garden.

 
At 24/4/07 9:17 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your friend says;

I thought my broad beans were good, but theyr`e babies compared with yours.I wonder if they will move on quickly enough for me to harvest them before digging them up to make way for the runner beans in June?

 
At 25/4/07 5:13 am, Blogger lilymarlene said...

Mine went in in October, that's why thy're so far ahead!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home