Subscribe with Bloglines At last I've got my plot!

Friday, May 18, 2007

Gardeners' World wasn't a classic. They did have Sarah though....I like her.

Carol Klein was going on about that "Three Sisters" method of growing sweetcorn, squash and beans. Once again she omitted to mention that it is only worth doing if you want maize for grinding and beans for drying....like the Indians did. If you want fresh sweetcorn and fresh beans then don't for goodness sake let the beans climb the sweetcorn. They will wind themselves all round the cobs and you'll not get them off without breaking the bean stem....thus you'll get no beans. I know....I tried it following someone else's suggestion a couple of yeas ago. I was spitting mad when it came to harvesting the cobs. What a waste of bean seeds!

3 Comments:

At 18/5/07 9:23 pm, Blogger RUTH said...

I'm glad you mentioned this because I'd wondered about whether it would work or not.

 
At 18/5/07 10:38 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

I got so fed up with GW tonight that I switched it off. There are only so many times that you want to see a present dig a hole and drop a plant in. (And pretend to dig and obviously already dug hole)

It is going down hill I think, at times, they seem to have run out of ideas, so we get the green bed, the jungle bed, the dry bed, and all the other beds!

Off to bed lol

 
At 19/5/07 5:49 am, Blogger lilymarlene said...

I fell asleep at one point.
I do wish Sarah would put somewhere on the net a plan of her cutting bed and what to plant when. This was the one bit of the programme which interested me and it didn't go far enough.
And don't get me started on that stupid roof!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home