Subscribe with Bloglines At last I've got my plot!

Thursday, August 09, 2007

A warning to all who have purchased Blackwall water butts and the plastic stands that go with them......! The plastic stands aren't up to the job. Both of mine collapsed within a week of each other. This resulted in me having to use all the water at once to be able to move the butt, and also the butts warped.
Surely they are made to be able to cope with a full tank.....?

DH has now made two stands using breeze blocks and bricks. This is not so easy to do once you have established the butts at a certain height against the downpipes. This height is crucial once the diverter is installed and is really difficult to match in bricks!

Anyone who already has these which have not yet collapsed would be well advised to put some support under them, within the plastic base, and touching the inner top of it....perhaps some bricks or breeze blocks.

I didn't get to the plot today as my sore throat returned (!!!) with a vengeance and a bad head and nausea!

2 Comments:

At 10/8/07 8:06 am, Blogger She Who Digs said...

Hope you are feeling better soon Lillymarlene. How old is your water butt stand? Are you going to send them the photo and ask for a replacememt or refund? I will be checking mine for signs of stress tonight! You cetainly have lots of lovely produce from your plot- I especially like the curly courgettes! SWD

 
At 10/8/07 8:44 am, Blogger lilymarlene said...

It is two seasons old! Yes....I have sent them an e-mail and a picture, and am waiting to hear from them.
Honestly, there were no signs prior to this happening! I checked the second one when the first one happened.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home