Subscribe with Bloglines At last I've got my plot!

Friday, October 12, 2007

During our recent holiday in East Germany, the bit that was Communist for so long, I frequently fuelled my Allotment addiction by walking through the E German version....the Schreber Garten site in Neu Oelsnitz, near Chemnitz, Saxony.
These are very interesting plots which have similarities to our Allotment system. Their history is described here at this link....http://germany-tourism.co.uk/EGB/outdoors_activities/schreber_gardens.htm

The site I visited had upwards of 60 of these gardens, all either fenced and gated or with hedges and gates. The "huts" are substantial enough for the plotholders (usually local apartment dwellers but sometimes people from nearby cities) to stay in overnight in the summer. They have running water and electricity, and most had TV aerials.....a lot even had satellite dishes!

Mostly they were laid out as flower gardens, but many also had a vegetable section. All were well kept. I'll be posting a few of my photos of them for your 'delectation'!

I'll do them one at a time so I don't risk getting those red xs....!
Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

At 13/10/07 2:36 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

they all look like little holiday home and gardens don't they. Wish the plots on our site looked half as good

 
At 14/10/07 1:39 am, Blogger Unknown said...

they look great, you would almost expect to see a glimpse of a coast at hte bottom of one or two of those gardens

 

Post a Comment

<< Home