Subscribe with Bloglines At last I've got my plot!: The hedge is finished!

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The hedge is finished!

Finished! I have finished planting the hedge...phew! My back aches, and my knees are sore, but it is done. Now I have to watch and wait and keep it well watered.

I also bought my spuds for the allotment. I got Kestrel, Charlotte and Desiree. I got 3 kg of each. This is overkill on the Kestrel and Charlotte, but I like to give them away to friends so it'll be ok.
Tomorrow I'll set them to chit.

Whilst in Kent last weekend I visited Canterbury Wholefoods and spent a lot on things I can't get here. One thing I am really enjoying was the set of Permaculture Magazines...all the 2007 issues. I love that magazine and really should subscribe...perhaps I will. There are lots of good ideas in there that will hopefully help me to be more productive as well as caring for the bit of the earth I have responsibility for. (Sobering thought!)

Tomorrow will be a bit cold so I'll do house jobs, then Friday I will carry on re-organising the tunnel beds and get the staging set up ready for my spring seed planting marathon which I will be able to start when we return from our Winter Sun break in Cyprus (3rd to 13th Feb). We hate to leave the Island here in summer..it is great here for 8 months, and I have my plot, garden and greenhouse to look after...so we always go about now for a bit of winter sun. We'll hire a car there but hope not to do too much gadding about. I will be happy just to wander about peering over fences at people's veg gardens and allotments. I have some photos of veg gardens taken abroad over the years...I like them better than beach shots as holiday mementos.

I have spent a while this week reading all the garden blogs I subscribe to, and am gradually getting into my spring gardening mode. It is so inspiring reading everyone's experiences....I am so glad you all post on your blogs...thanks!

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 25/1/08 7:59 am, Blogger clairesgarden said...

so much to do so little time!! i feel very unorganised this year. I haven't sorted out my seeds yet and none of the beds have been prepared due to the constant bad weather. i'm thinking of covering them in plastice to let them dry out and then try to have a marathon dig as soon as the rain lets off a bit.
good work on the hedge, it looks nice with its bark all round the base.

 
At 26/1/08 2:40 am, Blogger kate said...

It's great that you are able to get some planting done. No doubt you are looking forward to your holiday. Cyprus must be beautiful.

I'd also like to visit Kent some day!

 
At 29/1/08 11:55 am, Blogger Nome said...

Hi,
Really like the blog! I'm on a quest to get a few more visitors to my own allotment blog. Please pay me a visit! Would you be willing to link to me if I return the favour?

http://nomegrown.blogspot.com/

Thanks, and good luck on the plot this year!

 
At 29/1/08 6:47 pm, Blogger patsy said...

you weather is so different than ours. everything her is brown.

 
At 1/2/08 8:29 am, Blogger Matron said...

There's not much to blog about in mid Winter is there? I've tried to keep it interesting but hopefully there will be some new, green shoots happening in the next few weeks. I look forward to hearing about your new hedge.

 
At 2/2/08 2:48 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so you must have been out buying things for your holiday since Jan 23rd. Where were you when I logged in to read about your gardening?? Looking forward to seeing some of those snaps as you lurk about looking over Cypriot garden walls.
Have a really good holiday. I go on the 12th to the 26th, might bring back some snaps taken over Caribbean garden walls!!!

 
At 3/2/08 7:47 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 26/2/08 5:45 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
Did you know about the Island Permaculture Group?
Free to join, easy to get on with, like-minded people...
see website below!
Dave

 
At 26/2/08 6:09 pm, Blogger lilymarlene said...

You forgot to put the wbsite address on!
I was aware there is a permaculture club but don't know how to find them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home