A terrific day today.....sun, sun, sun!
It started a bit chilly but has warmed up to be a beautiful day. So I have been working on the back beds. (It is a bit difficult to believe that the photos in the previous blog post were taken only two days ago!)
Firstly I moved all the peas, broad beans and shallots that I started in modules in the tunnel, out to the fleece cloche to start the hardening off process.
Then I cut off the field beans which were green manuring the rh bed seen here. The bed seemed to have a lot of bindweed in it so I have tried to kill that with some weedkiller. If that doesn't work then I'll dig it all through again. I left the bean roots in so that the nitrogen fixing goes on.
The newly cleaned bed behind that one (with the tepee) was gladioli and some salads last year. I retrieved all the glad corms this morning and really went through the soil to get out the bindweed roots. I have now sown some Robinson's Show Perfection Peas that I got at Chelsea last spring. I've sown two per cane hoping that at least one comes up. I'll pour some meths around the stakes to discourage mice. I haven't got any petrol so it'll have to be meths....hope it works the same.....!
The marigolds you see in the bed to the left of the tepee have flowered all winter.
It was really really nice to be back in harness.....really really nice!
An added reason for good cheer today.....DH put the nets out last night in the bay near us and left them for the tide to go in and then out. He was delighted to find 6 Sea Bass in the net this morning ranging in size from 1lb9oz (scaled and gutted) right up to 2lb10oz . All now in the freezer as the boys (3 x 15 year olds) who are staying with us are going to take them home when they go as souvenirs of their holiday.