Subscribe with Bloglines At last I've got my plot!: Progress....

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Progress....

A busy session at the plot today. DH rotovated the squash bed which runs right along the top of the plot. The chunks of dried manure didn't break up as they are so dry. I'm considering raking them up and putting them in water to make a plant feed.

Whilst he did that I weeded and tilled this bed. It now has courgette seeds in. From left to right...
Rugosa Friulana
Custard White
Jemma
and Lungo Bianco.
I will sow French beans along the edges and between the plants as a catch crop. They like to grow together anyway.

I also did this bed near the shed. It is where the broccoli was until today. I dug it, tilled it, and erected the wigwams. I have done them in this square shape to make it easier to hoe between the rows. I don't know why I didn't think of that for the tepees in the back garden.

The sticks nearest the camera are where I sowed Borlotti beans, between the wigwams are some dwarf French beans..."Tepee". And the far framework has Climbing French Bean "Cosse Violette".

I still have two beds to work and sow. The one next to this bed and the one nearest the shed, which had field beans in it all winter. That will be for peas, and the bed next to this one will be for more beetroot. There is not enough for DH's pickles in the other bed.

Brian in the next plot was planting out his marrows, courgettes and sweetcorn today. So, when mine are hardened off they will go up into the long bed at the top of the plot. Brian stakes all of his sweetcorn against the wind, but I don't think I will need to as the far bed isn't all that windy....I have a hedge..

Now to walk the patient dogs.....
Posted by Picasa

8 Comments:

At 12/5/08 8:49 pm, Blogger Frankie said...

Are those artichokes at the rear?

 
At 12/5/08 9:04 pm, Blogger lilymarlene said...

They are....I grew them from seed. They produced heads all winter!

 
At 12/5/08 9:09 pm, Blogger Frankie said...

Oh good - I've grown some from seed this year so they are still quite small but growing fast. Yooyrs look really good.

 
At 12/5/08 9:14 pm, Blogger lilymarlene said...

Mine were babies this time last year. I have been getting "fruits" since November.

I grew 8 plants but only wanted three for the space. I put the rest on the surplus seat and when I turned round again they'd gone....so I hope they got a good spot too.

I cut 5 heads off this week, they;ll be the last for a while. I am trialling various recipes to see if I'll keep the plants...so far I haven't really enjoyed eating them.
Brian on the next plot says he likes to have them on the plot because he loves the flowers. I might just follow his example if I don't find a recipe I enjoy.

 
At 12/5/08 9:18 pm, Blogger Frankie said...

I've had over 20 germinate and gave a lot to Mel. I'm looking forward to trying them.

 
At 12/5/08 9:19 pm, Blogger lilymarlene said...

I'll watch your plot with interest this year!

 
At 13/5/08 8:15 am, Blogger Matron said...

Ah yes! the patient dogs! You've been working so hard that it's difficult to save enough energy to walk the dogs as well! Do you find the rotavator cuts up all the nasty weeds? I used one once and ended up with 400 small dock and dandelion instead of 20 big ones!!

 
At 13/5/08 11:05 am, Blogger lilymarlene said...

Fortunately I was warned about that before we ever had a rotovator.I always get out all the weeds first and use the rotovator to till the soil and break up the lumps.

When I got my plot I hand dug the whole lot during the winter and dug out all the white root weeds. This has paid off as I only have a very minor problem with them now.

I watched with horror as Joe Swift rotovated his new plot on Gardeners' World. He knew it was full of weeds. I can't see how he has saved himself any time doing it his way.....he'll have thousands to dig out as the summer gets going.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home