Managed an hour in the tunnel this morning before it got too hot in there. I sowed some seeds which I should have done weeks ago.
Purple Sprouting Broccoli
Lettuce red and green
Peas Kelvedon Wonder (in the fake guttering method from the Rootrainers people. I was a bit disappointed with these as they don't seem to drain very well. I might be tempted to make some holes in them.)
I also planted the Physalis plant I bought at Wisley into the tunnel bed.
This evening I went to the plot with a builders' rubble bag full of weeds and potato haulms etc. I have to unload this from the car out on the road and then pull it 250 yds, down hill then uphill to my plot. I have put all that on the compost heap....which I also watered from the hose to get it going.
Then I watered (really soaked) the whole plot, paying particular attention to the courgettes, squashes and sweetcorn. Some of the corn plants are 2 ft tall already, and some of the squashes are going to need wigwams very soon as they are beginning to sprawl.
The rest of the plot (except for the broad beans which still look disgraceful) is flourishing too. The cabbages and other crucifers look really healthy. I started these from seed myself so I am doubly proud of them this year....last year the plants came from my plot neighbour.
I was delighted to see that the plot next to mine that was/is such a mess has had some work done on it in the last week. Hopefully they will soon stop all the weed seed drift.
We are due some rain on Thursday evening (I think)....hopefully!