Subscribe with Bloglines At last I've got my plot!: State of play in the Polytunnel

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

State of play in the Polytunnel

I am so glad that I decided to have another go with courgettes in the tunnel. These have been cropping now for over a month....whereas the ones at the plot have just produced their first courgette. The variety is possibly a bit too big for the tunnel....the cucumbers behind them are smothered...they are trying but nothing much happening there....! Next year I will try to source a smaller, more compact, bush variety of courgette. Anyone got any suggestions?

Right at the back of this bed is the fig...with 7 fruits left on it. We have already had some.


The tomatoes are doing quite well but are not prolific, despite feeding. I let them get rather leggy before I got round to transplanting them, which may account for it.
My shallots drying off a bit. These are actually now bunched and hung from the side rails of the tunnel.
These are my lovely red onions from the back garden. There are loads more at the plot.....we shouldn't be buying any onions now til late next spring.....and I have plans for that gap anyway.

These onions are now in the tunnel, drying off.
Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

At 15/7/08 6:33 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always grow bush courgettes and I've never found a small one - they all seem to grow huge leaves that overlap whatever poor veg I've put nearby.

 
At 18/7/08 8:26 pm, Blogger clairesgarden said...

your crops look fabulous. well done on all your hard work, and what a difference having a poly tunnel makes to early cropping.

 
At 20/7/08 4:12 am, Blogger Lucky-1 said...

What a great food harvest you have shown off:D

Love zucchinis and can't wait to grow them again this coming summer.

 
At 23/7/08 7:40 am, Blogger Matron said...

If you don't mind your courgette growing upwards instead of outwards I would recommend 'Black Forest' courgette. I have pictured mine climbing up a stick.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home