Subscribe with Bloglines At last I've got my plot!: Spuds in at last.....

Thursday, April 02, 2009

Spuds in at last.....

Sunshine from dawn to dusk (we hope) today and very warm outside, and my spuds were reproaching me from their egg boxes on the sunroom windowsill and I felt sorry for them.
So DH made the holes with the long bulb planter, I ripped up comfrey leaves to put in the bottom of the hole and placed the spud in carefully, sprouts upwards, and DH put back the plug. After all was finished I earthed up the rows a bit.......and stood back and admired our handiwork.
The first two rows are Charlotte, the next two are Desiree.

There is still a lot to do there. The grass path along the plot edges needs strimming; the bank needs strimming; the globe artichokes need weeding underneath....likewise the rhubarb. The top beds need a bit of hoeing and the very top bed needs the phacelia digging in ready for planting up later.
Next door have been and "tidied" up a bit; but there is still lots of carpet everywhere and no soil has been turned yet. Early days I know....
And....as you can see....the shed needs a good spring tidy up. I can't find anything!!! I shal,l do this tomorrow....

Anyway....I feeel relieved to have got the year off to a sort of start. Lots of seeds to sow soonish...tomorrow some and more next week. The soil has warmed up a lot so there is hope that they'll come up if sown now.
Posted by Picasa

8 Comments:

At 2/4/09 2:12 pm, Blogger Jennifer AKA keewee said...

It sure is a good feeling at the end of the day, to stand back and admire all your work.

 
At 2/4/09 3:07 pm, Blogger Gardeness said...

Great job. It looks fantastic. I'm going to do potatoes in a barrel, we don't have nearly your space, and it will be something for the little guy. I bet that shed would be wonderful once you've tackled it. Pace yourself!

 
At 2/4/09 4:04 pm, Blogger B + S said...

I had never heard of the comfrey leaves with potatoes trick!! What a good one! Looks like you have a nice plot in a community garden, are all gardeners allowed to have sheds?? What a luxury! I have a plot in Vermont and we have 3 sheds to share between 65 plots!!!

 
At 2/4/09 5:15 pm, Blogger lilymarlene said...

Oh yes! We can all have sheds as long as they are a sensible size. Lots have greenhouses too.

 
At 2/4/09 6:02 pm, Blogger Tattyanne said...

Lol Marlene! My shed looks just like yours, thats another job on my list too! Tatty x

 
At 3/4/09 8:19 am, Blogger Libby said...

Its nice getting out and 'doing' again!

 
At 3/4/09 10:05 am, Anonymous Rachael said...

My shed also needs a good sort out. it's still all jumbled up from when the vandals tipped it over!

 
At 17/4/09 12:43 pm, Blogger Paul and Melanie said...

Well done with all the spud planting, looks like you're well on track.

Aren't sheds supposed to be untidy? ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home