Subscribe with Bloglines At last I've got my plot!: I love the smell of bonfires....

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

I love the smell of bonfires....

This afternoon DH cut the brambles away from behind the tunnel and I have started a fire with the "proceeds"! I love the smell of an Autumn garden rubbish bonfire, where the stuff to burn is all vegetation. Shirtsleeve weather again. Very pleasant!

I also weeded out the Sq Ft salad bed. There are a few empty squares which I will have to think about what to put in them, or even whether to just fertilise and leave 'til spring. There are a number of good salads still left in there, and some small brassicas which will do a meal each when they fill out. The beans are finished as are the red radish. The mooli look good.

This morning I went to the plot and had a good look at my projected rotation for next year. Where the spuds were this year will be the cabbages next; where the carrots and beets were this year will be manured for spuds next year; where the beans were this year is where the carrots and beets will be next year; and where the cabbages were this year will be where I will have the squashes etc. next year. That should work!

I also harvested the last of the carrots (a bucketload), and cleaned the bed. And the last of the beetroots....another bucketload for pickling, perhaps tomorrow; and cleaned the bed. And the pumpkins; and cleared the vine to the compost. All in all a VERY productive morning.
It is beginning to look much more cared for at the plot.....At Last!!!

Now to walk the dogs...

5 Comments:

At 28/10/09 2:54 pm, Blogger The Allotment Blogger said...

It sounds like you had the most produtive allotment weekend ever! You're way ahead of us, I promise you. All I've managed to do is work out the rotation for next year and try and start digging a little. We've got so much more to do yet before we can feel we've been productive.

 
At 28/10/09 6:53 pm, Blogger Grandmaibb said...

You are having better weather than we are in Cornwall. It's very grey here, not cold but not cheerful. I've still got quite a bit of clearing to do before the lottie goes to bed for the winter but I have done my rotation plan for next year.

Pippa

ps stalked you from over on 'down-to-earth' hope you don't mind.

 
At 29/10/09 10:04 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there, thank you for your lovely comment on my blog, another Lark Rise fan! I have a link for you, for a website all about Flora Thompson, I go on it mainly for the news, find out whats new in the world of Flora Thompson, tells you about the series, new books which have been wrote about her, and, guess what, if her houses are coming up for sale, and her home in Liphook is for sale! Check it out, you never know, this may be your fete! Hope you enjoy the site. xxx

http://www.johnowensmith.co.uk/flora/

 
At 29/10/09 10:58 am, Blogger lilymarlene said...

Thanks. I already have seen that site and bought some of his books.
I didn't know the house was up for sale.....wow...that's expensive!!!

 
At 29/10/09 11:14 am, Blogger Jan said...

Sounds like a lot of work done well!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home