Subscribe with Bloglines At last I've got my plot!: A lovely afternoon.

Thursday, April 08, 2010

A lovely afternoon.

The weather was absolutely perfect for gardening today...and I made the most of it for as long as my back lasted out.

Tesco's had some good raspberry canes for sale yesterday. So I bought 4 of Glen Cova and after soaking them as per the instructions I planted them along the fence in the kitchen garden at home. The aspect is west facing, exactly like my plot raspberries, so I should get a harvest. They are a summer fruiting variety, so no fruit this year....but I can wait.
I have undersown them with Limnanthes Douglassii(?) "Poached Egg Plant".

I also dug up the last of the leeks at home and clared that bed apart from one PSB plant which is still going strong.

In the Sq Ft bed I have plnted out some Calabrese "Mammoth" plants, also some Cabbage "Grand Duchy". Between these I plnted out the modules of beetroot, with calendula seeds, and sowed some more Parmex carrots (the trial ones from Wilkinsons) and scattered some Nigella "Love in a Mist" seeds around them. (Alys Fowler recommends this combination.)

Also sowed nasturtiums, some Cup and Saucer Plant seeds (I have a feeling these should have been in warmth, but the seed packet had no instructions. If they fail to germinate I will try again!)

I also sowed chives along the path, and pot marigold, and sage.

4 Comments:

At 9/4/10 9:05 am, Blogger Sue Garrett said...

I had about 5 limnanthes from my original sowings - now I have a limnanthes lawn - it's even growing in the tarmac pathway that runs alongside our plot. In a Google aerial shot of our allotment site you can see the yellow swathe that it produces.

 
At 9/4/10 12:28 pm, Blogger Jan said...

I tried several times to grow the poached agg plant, but never managed it because they got eaten every time. They're lovely though!

 
At 9/4/10 6:45 pm, Blogger Matron said...

Isn't the weather wonderful! and I think the weekend is set fair too. I planted some limanthes last year to encourage bees onto my veg plot. They really self seed all over the place, so be prepared for lots more next year too!

 
At 18/4/10 3:28 pm, Blogger Greenmantle said...

Hi Lilly M

I have new plot at last, after nearly 3 years, and "Dig for Victory" lives again!
www.digforvictory.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home